IT Service Management (ITSM) is well established with proprietary tool coverage for 20 years. If you’re not familiar with the space, vendor names have included HP, IBM, BMC, CA, Service Now, Micro Focus, Cherwell, Ivanti, and others.
So why create an open-source offering for IT discovery and integration activities?
- Modernize the underlying platform to enable horizontal, on-demand scalability in the discovery framework.
- Add new methodologies into the discovery framework; more than just the 1-to-1 model of job-to-technology.
- Jobs could be vendor agnostic; develop once and send to any ITSM product.
- Create a larger developer resource pool by combining talent across vendors.
- Crowd-sourcing jobs; enable individual developers to compete with big vendors and their partner ecosystems.
- Expand ITSM customer base to companies with less than 5,000 servers; everyone can afford open-source!